Once you have all the ingredients for this delightful dish, it is actually very easy to throw together. It was a huge hit at my house with vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.
9-12 no-boil lasagna noodles
2 Tbs olive oil
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 c chopped onion
2 Tbs minced garlic
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of all excess water
3 cups ricotta cheese
4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups tomato pasta sauce (have two jars/cans on hand, amount is approximate)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Get out a 9X13 pan and spray with a little cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet. Add garlic and onions. Once tender, add the artichoke. Cook until the liquid has evaporated.
3. In a medium sized bowl combine the ricotta, eggs, salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and the drained spinach using an electric hand mixer. Beat for about one minute. Then stir in the parmesan cheese.
4. On the bottom of your 9X13 pan, spread about 1/2 c of the pasta sauce. Then lay 3 lasagna noodles on top. Next spread 1/3 the cheese/spinach mixture over the noodles. Then layer 1/3 the onion/artichoke mixture. Sprinkle 1 c. mozzarella cheese, following 1 c. pasta sauce. Repeat layering 2 times. Top with remaining noodles, sauce, and generous amount of mozzarella cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for about 10 minutes or until it looks bubbly and delicious. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes before serving.